Wednesday, January 11, 2006

5 days, 300 photos, and 2600 feet of escalators

That's not counting all the escalators in the MRT stations either. In fact it's just the 2600 feet of the Mid-Levels Escalators that I rode on the weekend. Moving around is quite an art form in Hong Kong, with the most efficient MRT system imaginable, trams, buses and, yes, escalators moving 6,898,686 people around a few lumps of rock hanging off the bottom of China. The next MRT you need always seems to be directly opposite the one you're disembarking, and sometimes I've had to wait as long as 60 seconds or so for the train to arrive. Everyone pays with the Octopus stored value card and there are no queues to be seen. How do they do it? More to the point, why can't we?

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger mike priddy said...

6,898,686 - That's a very accurate figure. It is also diabolically lucky :-)

12:23 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Indeed MRT is a very remarkable and successful system. It is the vein of Hong Kong, moving millions of millions of people around this ridiculously crowded small island. How did they do it? Technology had played significant part of course. But media also had contributed to this by reporting minor delay on the news(I means delay like 10 to 20 minutes). So it seem unfair to people who work in MRT but it had shown a good reputation. But I dare not to work in MRT.

4:01 AM  
Blogger Robert Sharl said...

Interesting! I'm finding it just as efficient on this (my second) trip to HK, though the scale of some of the stations (eg Central) is daunting. I sometimes wonder if I could walk to my destination faster on the surface than in the station below. I guess it would be hotter up there though.

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home